Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Wednesdays In Washington, DC

On my way to the United States Air Force Memorial, I had to pass the Pentagon.  When I passed by, I saw there was a memorial to honor the the victims of September 11, 2001, who were aboard hijacked American Airlines Flight 77 that was flown into the Pentagon by terrorists, and to the victims who were inside the Pentagon.  The 184 people who perished that day are memorialized here.  While many people are are very familiar with the 9/11 Memorial in New York ( see my 01-16-1201-23-12 and 04-14-12 posts),very few people even know that this memorial even exists.

The memorial consists of 184 benches; one for each of the victims.  Each bench has its own fountain/pool.  Those who dieded in the Pentagon have their names engraved on the benches in such a way that you see their names and the Pentagon in the same view, while the names of those on AA Flight 77 are engraved so that the viewer sees the sky.

Below are a few of the shots I took at the memorial.  These were taken after I was at the Air Force Memorial. By the time I reached the Pentagon 9/11 Memorial, it was about 11:30 pm (on a Sunday night).  I was the only one there at the time.  I expected it to be a bit eerie, but it was actually quite tranquil.  I'm looking forward to getting back there again.






No comments:

Post a Comment