Sunday, February 5, 2012

Super Sunday

Butler University is in Indianapolis, IN.  As many of you are probably aware, the Super Bowl is being played in Indianapolis today.  With all of the Super Bowl-related activities going on yesterday, I was just about the only photographer at the Butler game.  Normally, there's at least one photographer from the Indianapolis Star and one from the Associated Press (AP).  Because of their absence, the Indianapolis Star was without any photos for the game.

As I indicated in my 01-15-12 post, I've collaborated on some projects with David Woods.  David is the Star's beat writer for Butler basketball.  After the game, David asked if I might have some shots available  for the newspaper.  He asked me for shots of the two or three Butler players who lead the team in scoring and rebounds.  I ended up giving him about 17 images to pick from and included shots I thought a picture editor might like (rather than just the photos of the scoring/rebounding leaders) and didn't really know if they would end up using my photos or not.

I went online this morning and saw that not only did they use my pictures in the online version of the newspaper (which also included a gallery of eight of my photos), but they used them in the paper version as well.  As you will note, the paper version featured the photo above.  What's ironic about this is I would not have gotten that photo from the side I normally shoot on; I would have only gotten the players' backs and that photo would not have been of any interest to the photo editor.  I guess I can't complain now about not getting any good dunk shots (see yesterday's post).

And the other picture used in the paper edition was of Ronald Nored being treated for his injury by Ryan Galloy.  Again ironic given my reluctance to normally shoot injury-related photos.

2 comments: